A “game-changing” cancer blood test is now available to everyone.
In the summer of 2021, Executive Medicine of Texas began using the new Galleri cancer blood test which tests for 50 different types of cancer including…
Bladder Esophagus Skin
Breast Liver Stomach
Bone Lung Testis
…and 39 more.
We are excited to offer this test because it is available at a fraction of the price of competitors’ tests. It’s not widely available, and we are pleased to be an approved site to offer it.
And yes, we have found cancers. Early. Before any detectable symptoms.
We’ve put those patients on robust treatment plans that we hope will make their cancers just a blip in their overall health journey.
Why experts call the Galleri blood test for cancer a “game-changer”
Given that the renowned Mayo Clinic plans to offer the Galleri blood test at multiple locations by the end of the year, we expect more and more hospitals, medical centers, and providers to follow.
Experts see the Galleri blood test as a market disruptor for two reasons:
- Price – at $1,000 to $1,500, this test beats Guardant’s Guardant 360 at nearly $6,000 and Roche’s FoundationOne Liquid CDx price of nearly $7,000.
- Potential – Early detection can save millions of lives. Today, doctors regularly screen for just 5 of the dozens of potential cancers. In fact, every year in the U.S., 71% of cancer deaths result from cancers that have no screen in place or that patients must request screens for. Detecting these less common cancers can take the patients themselves recognizing lumps, malformations, discoloration, and other issues. By the time these signs emerge, cancers have typically moved into a later stage.
How does it work? The Galleri test looks for evidence of cancer DNA present in the blood. With the cancer signal detected, the doctor can use the test to further pinpoint its location.
Who should get the Galleri cancer test? Physicians recommend the Galleri test for adults with a higher than average cancer risk. These groups include those over 50, individuals with a family history of cancer, or who have handled known toxins regularly. Still, most providers will order the Galleri test for many reasons, including as part of a comprehensive examination for adults of all ages.
How to get the Galleri blood test for cancer? The test requires a physician order and its results must be interpreted in the context of your health history, demographics, and health data, as well as your clinical signs and symptoms.
Other facts: this test should be used in addition to rather than to replace other cancer screens like colon, breast, and lung screens. It does not detect all cancers. It doesn’t need FDA approval because it is a screen rather than an invasive treatment or medication. As yet, the Galleri test is not covered by insurance. Patients pay the cost to the physician.
When a cancer screen leads to early detection.
You probably have heard that early detection leads to far higher survival rates.
While survival rates vary by cancer diagnosis and patient age, gender, health, and more, we can draw some general conclusions about the benefits of early detection when reviewing specific statistics.
- In the U.S., the 5-year survival rate for women diagnosed with late-stage cervical cancer is 15%. On the other hand, early-stage detection increases the 5-year survival rate to 93%.
- Similarly, the 5-year survival rate for men diagnosed with prostate cancer that has spread is 30%. For men with early-stage prostate cancer that has not spread, the 5-year survival rate jumps to almost 100%.
- Even one of the toughest cancers – pancreatic – has a 39% 5-year survival rate when caught early but only a 3% 5-year survival rate once it has spread.
Survival is always the first concern for patients, families, and doctors. With so many cancers now so treatable, however, focusing on quality of life during treatment should top the list of concerns, too. Early detection also means that quality of life improves during and after cancer treatments. Early-stage cancer treatments are more gentle and take less time. Keeping yourself as healthy as possible during cancer treatment of course reinforces your ability to recover.
Finally, early diagnosis and treatment reduce costs for both patients and providers. According to recent studies from high-income countries, treatment costs for patients with early-stage cancer are two to four times less expensive than late-stage cancer treatments. In the U.S. early diagnosis saves public healthcare entities $26 billion per year. Even with good insurance, most cancer patients end up paying thousands in deductibles and other costs. When early diagnosis gets treatment over with quickly, patients can return to work earlier.
Your proactive cancer prevention and detection efforts could save your life
Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the United States year after year. Experts estimate it will take 608,570 American lives in 2021.
Still, cancer deaths are declining due to citizens of the world adopting smart lifestyle habits like curbing smoking, drinking, and overeating. Moreover, in the past 10 years, stunning advances in diagnosis and treatment have saved lives that may have been lost before this period. Immunotherapy, molecular diagnostics, and targeted therapies like Herceptin® mean cancer is no longer a death sentence, but often something to be managed. You can manage it better when you catch it early.
Want to learn more? Read how you can reduce your cancer risk with screening and prevention strategies here.
Want to ask your questions or schedule a consultation about a Galleri test? Call us at (817) 552-4300 or email us at CONTACT@EMTEXAS.COM.